Monday, November 14, 2016

The family cottage quilt

Hi everyone, 

I finished a quilt today. 
Many years ago my Mom embroidered some cottage blocks for a quilt. 
Each block has the name of one of my brothers or sisters and their spouse. Plus she named each cottage with something to represent the couple. 
You may notice that there are twelve blocks. Well I have 10 brothers and sisters. Eleven children are in my family. The twelfth block is my parents. 
 
It's not a very big quilt. 
But I think it's great!
I sashed the blocks, quilted it and bound it. This will be one of the gifts I give my parents for Christmas. 
Don't worry, they don't read my blog. So it will still be a surprise. 

I'm happy with this finish. 
Hope you like it! 

 

9 comments:

Phyllis said...

What a lovely to give your parent. I know they will love it.

WoolenSails said...

That is a beautiful quilt and a beautiful gift for your parents.

Debbie

a good yarn said...

Such a wonderful combination and a quilt to treasure. Size doesn't matter.

Pam @ Quilting Fun said...

Love it! What a special finish! Congratulations!

Lorna McMahon said...

This is such a handsome finish! How fabulous that you were able to put your mom's blocks into this quilt and how it represents your family. I love the stars in the sashing cornerstones!

Summer said...

Gorgeous ♥

Kat Scribner said...

I love hand embroidery and putting it in quilts. I hope your mom wont see this. LOL It is a lovely piece. Did you quilt 'thru' over the redword stitching or around it ?? I'm planning my next embroidered/quilt and struggling with the set up for this reason.

Kaja said...

What a lovely thing to do! I have six kids, which over here is considered a really big family, but yours is way bigger. :-)

Dresden Quilter said...

I love redwork. Your mom is very creatiave.