I joined the Maple Leaf Bee in August, when one of the other members had to drop out.
I volunteered to take her place.
So, my month came fast and I had to decide what to ask the girls to make.
I wanted it to be a stash busting project, and a modern project.
So, I took out a bunch of my modern fabric and started cutting.
I decided to use my GO! Dresden Die since I love it so much.
I cut out all the petals for the girls.
I used 20 different fabrics, in aqua's, pinks, and greens.
This is the test block that I made.
I thought I would do a little tutorial for the girls, in case they had never made a dresden block before.
Here it is.
First you want to fold the petal right side together at the wide end and stitch it across.
As you can see above, just chain stitch all the petals. It goes pretty quick this way.
Once you have all the tops stitched, then cut them apart and trim the point to about an eighth of an inch from the seam you just made. This just helps in turning the tip of the petal.
Turn all the petal tips right side out. You may have to use a tool to get the tip out all the way. I used the tip of my scissor just to push it out a bit. Then, iron the tips of the petals. I have the petals all layed out the way I want to sew them. See below:
Now, I will start to sew the petals together in pairs. You can chain stitch them to make it quicker.
I use my 1/4 inch foot to sew the petals together. I started sewing from the edge of the petals. I find that this makes for a nicer finish. You just match up the top corners of both petals and start stitching. Once all your pairs are sewn together, you want to iron the seam open.
Once all your pair seams are ironed, keep sewing the pairs together, and ironing your seams open, until you have your dresden sewn together as below.
This is what the back should look like.
Now, you can see that mine isn't perfect. Just do your best when sewing them together.