Yep! I finished by Blackbird quilt designed by Lorna at Sew Fresh Quilts.
I took a workshop with her at the beginning of the month. It was a lot of fun.
I'm so glad I got it done before the month is over. It feels really great.
I quilted it on my Gracie frame using my old kenmore machine. It was a challenge since it was my first time. But I kept the quilting simple with straight and curvy lines across the top.
I used a soft polka dot flannel on the back, that I purchased at one of my local quilt shops. I pieced the batting from leftovers I had. The binding was made from two of the blacks that I used for the birds.
All in all, I'm really happy with it. The quilting is not my best. But it's still super cute, I hope you like it!!
I was doing some mindless sewing a few nights ago. I grabbed my cut 1 1/2 inch blocks and sorted them by colour. Then I started sewing them into 16-patch blocks .
These blocks are only 4 1/2 inches, and will finish at 4 inches.
I was trying to think about how I was going to use these blocks. I thought maybe I should use them in a medallion quilt. My quilt guild is making medallion quilts this year for our BOM. We all design our own. So I thought I might as well make one too.
So, I'll share my process on my blog here. If you want to join me and make a similar quilt that would be great.
This is going to be a rainbow coloured scrappy medallion quilt.
I'm going to use only scraps.
Some of my scraps are pre cut to 1 1/2 inch squares and strips, 2 1/2 inch squares and strips, plus organized by colour.
This is what I have up to now.
The Maple leaf blocks are made up of 2.5 inch blocks and HST's.
WARNING!!!! I'm going to assume that whoever follows along has done a lot of quilting already. That's why they have so many scraps. So, I'm not going to go into major detail about the construction.
For the maple leaf blocks, select four colours that you want to use for the leaf. I chose green, orange, red and brown. I also chose to use a medium blue for the backgrounds of the leaves. From my scraps I cut: 3 - 2.5 inch blocks of the chosen colour I used the easy angle ruler to make my HST's from 2.5 inch fabric strips. I made 4 hst's for each maple leaf. If you don't have the easy angle ruler, cut 2 - 2 7/8th squares, one from your coloured fabric and one background fabric and lay them facing together. Cut them on the diagonal and sew a 1/4 seam on the diagonal line. I press my seams open on hst's For the stem, I cut a 3 inch square of background fabric and cut it diagonal. I also cut a 0.75x5 inch strip out of the leaf colour fabric. I sewed the strip to the diagonal seam of the cut 3 inch triangle, iron the seam and sew the other triangle on to the strip, iron the seam and trim square to 2.5 inches. Your maple leaf block should be 6.5 inches.
For the 16-patch blocks, I used 1.5 inch squares. I sewed them together into four patches, then those 4-patch together to make 16-patch blocks. These are made mostly of 16 different fabrics. Some of my blocks have repeat fabrics because I don't have a lot of that colour in my stash. I have 8 colours of 16-patch blocks. They are black, brown, green, blue, yellow, orange, red, and purple. I have made one of most of the colours except the purple. I'm working on it though. You will need two 16-patch blocks of each of the above colours.
Now, lets say you don't keep scraps that are 1.5 inches because you find that too small. That's okay. Just make 4 patch blocks in the above colours using 2.5 inch squares.
They need to be 4.5 inches in size.
I hope you understand my instructions. Lol!
I also hope you join in sewing along with me. I'm designing the quilt as I go. So when I get to the next step I'll post it here on my blog. Have fun!!
I'm so excited. I started this project in February 2009. I took many long breaks from it because life got complicated at times, especially when my husband had his motorcycle accident.
This quilt was hand pieced the old fashion way. I used a cardboard template and traced it on my material and cut it out with a sizzor. The original pattern was too small for our big mattress so I had to make a lot more stars and add a border. The original pattern didn't have a border.
When the top was done, I noticed it was not flat. There was no way I was taking it apart. So, I just basted it the best I could and quilted it. The quilting really helped flatten it. There are puckers and I went off my lines here and there. I did quilt it on my kenmore machine that's about 50 yrs old. It was not easy to quilt as it's 92 inches by 115 inches.
I love it!
It's totally my style.
I hope you like it too!
Hey, I finally have a quilt for my own bed!! Yeah!!
I'm still trying to finish quilting my hexagon star quilt. I quilted all the white part, all the borders, and now I'm quilting the stars. I have about 1/3 of the stars quilted. I've spent about 25 hours quilting it already. It is a big quilt and there's a lot of quilting to do. I'm loving it though. I'm so glad I'm keeping this one for myself. It will be beautiful when it is all done.
I also attended a workshop and trunk show last week.
Lorna from Sew Fresh Quilts, came to our guild and gave an amazing trunk show.
Her quilts are so fun, and beautifully made.
I bought 6 of her patterns.
I just couldn't resist. Haha!
The following day, I took a workshop with her.
We had a choice of 6 patterns to make, and I chose the black birds quilt.
I made 8 blocks during the workshop.
They are so adorable. Lorna was very helpful with all the students. She's a great teacher and I would recommend you taking a workshop with her if you get the chance.
I've made a few more bird blocks since the workshop, but I'm trying to finish quilting my hexagon star quilt. So most of my time has been devoted to that.
I hope all the Canadians had a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend.