Saturday, June 24, 2017

Yellow blocks, phone stand and some hand stitching!

Hi everyone,

I have had a very interesting month so far.
I've had lots of stuff going on.

First off, I did finish my yellow Arkansas Crossroads blocks for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge 2017. I love making these blocks. They are easy to make, and I love finding the scraps to put them together.

Then, I decided I needed to have an iphone/ipad mini stand. So, I looked online at all the tutorials out there. I didn't want mine to be exactly like these tutorials. I just wanted to have an idea of what worked. I made up my own pattern. I wanted something that could be made quickly and with strips of fabric. This is what I came up with.

I made the big grey one first. This was my first prototype. It worked okay. I found that the ledge to hold the iPad wasn't long enough. The iPad would slip sometimes. This one was made with scraps of twill fabric so I didn't use any interfacing. Because this one is so large I used some left over batting scraps to stuff it, as well as crushed walnut shells. 
The second one I made was the little orange one. I used quilting cotton on this one, without interfacing. I made the ledge longer. This was better. I filled it only with crushed walnut shells. This was also better. But, it needed interfacing as the crushed walnut shells discolored the fabric and it was also too small for my iPhone SE, which is the same size as an iPhone 5s. It would slide to the side all the time.

So, finally I got it right. The middle one is made of quilting cotton that has been backed with a light interfacing. It has the longer ledge. It is filled with only crushed walnut shells which gives it nice weight to hold a phone or iPad mini. It can hold my husbands Samsung s7 phone well without worrying it will fall over. 

After trying all these out, I realized that the larger size would be perfect for a standard iPad, as long as it was filled completely with crushed walnut shells, or some weighted pellets. It needs the longer ledge to work properly. But other than that its good. 

Then, I was a lucky winner in a challenge by Lorna of  Sew Fresh Quilts to make quilts for Canada's big bee. I made this quilt to donate to the Ronald MacDonald House. She sent me this wonderful charm pack by Robert Kaufman. I haven't made anything with it yet, but I will. It's beautiful fabric. Thanks so much Lorna!!!

Laurel Canyon by Studio RK
Laurel Canyon by Studio RK, Complete Collection

Then, I went on vacation with my husband to Cuba for a week. We had a wonderful vacation. I love going to Cuba. The people there are so friendly, and the beaches are amazing. I brought some hand stitching with me. It was so interesting to sew there. The people of Cuba have not had access to many fabrics. They don't quilt much or at all. I would be sewing while sitting in the lobby bar of the resort and the servers would all stop to ask what I was doing. I would show them the hand stitching and pictures on my phone of some of the quilts that I have made. They were all amazed.

This is the hand stitching I've been doing.
I'm making these with a kite shape. I'm turning them into triangles, then diamonds, then stars.
I love how these are coming along. 

Well, I think that's enough for one post. LOL!!

Linking with:

Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Millefiori rosette #1 finished table top quilt

Hi everyone, 

I hope you are all doing well.

Today I finished my Millefiori Rosette #1 table top quilt.
Here it is.
I had fun doing the quilting on this one. 
I really love how this table topper turned out.
All the fabric for this quilt came from older stash. The fabric for the top is all Art Gallery Fabrics from early collections that I've had in my stash for years. I used a dark grey fabric for the binding. And for the backing, I used a Tanya Whelan fabric from the Grand revival collection called Darla. This is also an older collection. 
I really like this backing!
I hope you like it! 
Now this project is off my UFO list.

I'm linking with

Monday, June 5, 2017

My plus baby quilt is done!

Hi everyone, 

I hope you are all well. 

I finished my plus quilt. 
It's a baby quilt.
It measures 42x48 inches before being washed. 
I made the blocks in a rainbow of colours!
I started making these blocks as part of RSC 2017. 
Then a friend took in a young girl who was pregnant, so I decided to make this into a quilt right away. 
I'm still going to continue making these blocks for RSC 2017 though. 
The binding is scrappy in dark blues. 
I used really old stash for the backing. 
The quilting is a large loopy pattern. 
It turned out really well. 
I'm really happy with it. 
Hope you like it!

I'm linking with: 


Saturday, June 3, 2017

RSC 2017, week #22.....finishing up green

Hi everyone, 

I can't believe we are in June already! 
Time is just flying by, and I don't seem to be accomplishing as much as I would like. 

I fell behind on my green blocks for May. 
So I got my green Arkansas Crossroads blocks done yesterday. 


I decided to take a peak at how my blocks look all together so far.
 I really love these so far. 
This layout is perfect as it is. But I want a bed quilt. I'm wondering if I should make more blocks in each colour. I'm not sure yet. I could just mix the blocks so that the colours aren't linear, but more random. Either way, I love these blocks.

Onto making my yellow blocks!!