Sunday, August 20, 2017

I made some little things

Hi everyone,

I hope you are all having a good weekend.
I'm working this weekend.
I haven't got any sewing in, but I did forget to post a few little things that I have made.

I recently made a little zippered sewing caddy.
I didn't follow any instructions, but did get a lot of inspiration online from Japanese quilted bag magazines. There are a lot of pictures on pinterest. 

So, I just went for it and made one.

I used those tiny bow tie blocks that I had made a few weeks ago. 
I added some lace ribbon from my stash.
I hand quilted it with some embroidery floss from my stash.
You can see the quilting better on the back.
Everything came from my stash for this make.
The zipper was from a thrift store bag of zippers.
On the one side I have two pockets for thread spools, thimbles and needle packs.
Then, in the center I have a skinny pincushion.
On the right I have a scissor pouch and a felt rectangle for needles.

I really like how it turned out for my first try.
It's mostly sewn by hand, including the zipper. 

Another little project I completed was a patchwork dog softie. 

It was made up of 1.5 inch squares.
These were mostly 30's reproduction scraps of fabric.
I also just used pictures I saw online to make this.


Isn't it cute. It's like an oversized pincushion.
I don't have any little kids around to play with a toy like this.
But, I made it in an afternoon, and it made me happy.
I love it!

Saturday, August 12, 2017

Scrappy Medallion Quilt Completed

Hi everyone,

I'm so glad to have finally finished this quilt. 
I even got the hanging sleeve done. 
I love how this quilt turned out. 

This quilt is my original design. I started it in October of 2016. When I started making it I didn't have a plan. I just kept adding rounds and designing them as I went. At some point I made myself a drawing of it on graph paper and continued on with my design as I had drawn it. I'm really proud of how the colours worked together and that I used my fabric scraps to make it.


I quilted it with a swirl design on my Janome 1600p. 
I had some tension issues while quilting. I didn't notice it right away and ended having to remove a lot of the quilting and redo it. That was a pain. But, I got it done.



I used a large scale print on the back. I got the backing for $3.88/meter. 
It was a steal. 



I hope you like it. I'm pretty proud of this quilt.