Wednesday, April 11, 2012

We are renovating.....

our basement!!

Which means.... I had to pack all my fabric...
all my sewing stuff....
and store it in the crawl space.

See..

Another sad view....

I had all this anxiety about packing my stuff away.
I had to remind myself that I will benefit from this in the long run.

You see, we have a side split house and only half a basement.
Half the house has a crawl space...full of my fabric!!!
(Well, not full.....LOL!!)
Our boys shared a room for a long time.
But as they became teenagers, this arrangement wasn't working any more.
So, we are converting our family room into two bedrooms.
One for each of the boys.
That leaves a bedroom empty upstairs.
That room will become my very own sewing room.
Yeah!!!!!

It means a lot of changes.
We had a sitting room on the main floor, that we didn't really use.
We only have one TV in the house and it was in the basement.
So, now the TV will be moving upstairs, to the main floor.
We will need to buy better furniture for the living room to meet our needs.
But, we will just work with what we have for now.

In the mean time, I will work on a little bit of hand sewing.
I'm actually doing applique.
I'm only doing one block of the Florabunda pattern by Erin Russek.
She blogs at One Piece at a Time.
I've been admiring her appliqued quilts for a long time.
She has great tutorials on her technique.
So, I decided to try it out with the one block.
I love doing the applique this way.
But, I'm a piecer!!!!
One block is enough for me!
LOL!!!!




8 comments:

Sara said...

beautiful hand applique Ariane:) That is a great project to take up your time while waiting for your new sewing room!!! Exciting!

Impera Magna said...

Home renovation... bless you, my dear! Keep looking on the bright side: your very own sewing room!!!

Talin's Corner said...

Your applique is so pretty. And good luck with your renovations

Barb said...

Oh...what a great day that will be when you get your own sewing room...whohoooo! I am excited for you.

Your hand sewing project looks great!

Dresden Quilter said...

It will all be worth it in the end, which I know is always hard to hear. You could always store your stuff at my place! ;-) You have such amazing fabrics. I love the applique.

Unknown said...

Good for you guys! I think it'll make a nice change for everyone. The boys will have some privacy and you'll have a sewing room. That's cool!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

good luck with the renovations...hope everything goes to plan.

Love the applique block...so pretty.

michele said...

Renovations are fun, but no fun....if you don't already know what I mean, you soon will....

We just renovated our kitchen and before that I did my sewing room. Done for a while.

Florabunda block looks good - when I did that block it seemed to take forever!