Monday, May 30, 2011

Quilting the Carpenter's Star quilt!

Hi everyone,

I hope you are all doing well.

I decided to quilt my Carpenter's Star quilt myself.
I'm using my daughter's Kenmore sewing machine, because it was recently serviced.
So, I knew it was working well.

Considering it's about 30 years old, it is quilting very well.
It's hard work, quilting such a big quilt on a little machine.
My arm and hands were really hurting after a few hours.
I decided to do some simple free-motion quilting on it.
That way I didn't have to turn the quilt constantly.
I just worked on one block at a time.
This made it a little easier.

I started in the middle and I'm working my way out to the edges.

I'm almost done.
I only have about 1 foot and a half left to do around the edge of the quilt.
I'm very excited to be getting this done so well.
I worked night shift last night and work night shift again tonight.
I probably won't be able to finish the quilting until Wednesday.
But that is still so great.
Can't wait to be done.

Hugs


11 comments:

GerryART said...

I find I encounter less fatigue when I where some sort of gripper gloves - less pressure necessary.
I just use gardening gloves with those vinyl dots - cheap at the home building supply places.
hugs
Gerry

Sara said...

You go girl!!!

I still have my Kenmore up in the closet since I got the Janome. I feel bad for not using her,but my Janome is just too stinking awesome.

I love,love your carpenter star!! I know I have said that already, but it is perfect:)

Lee D said...

You definitly need to get some quilting gloves. there will be less stress on your hands. I sometimes use them just for piecing rows or putting on binding gives you added strength! They aren't too expensive either. ONe of the must haves of quilting I think.

Merilyn said...

Hats off to you for doing all the quilting! I remember battling away with large quilts, I now tend to send them to the long-arm quilter to do these days! I'd have to agree with previous comments about the gloves, they really do make the job a little less taxing on the muscles!!!

Kathy said...

What a beautiful quilt. I agree, it's much easier to quilt when wearing quilting gloves. Can't wait to see it finished.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

I was going to say gloves too Ariane, but it's been said already! Give them a try.

Barb said...

Can't wait to see it!

Calicojoan said...

I professionally sewed on a Kenmore machine for 14 years, and actually burned the head out on one machine, which they happily replaced and remarked that they had never seen happen before. They were truely the best machines on the market at one time. Oh I long for the old days sometimes. Can't wait to see your quilting when it's all done!

DebbieM said...

You are a brave woman doing all finishing quilting yourself. I can only stitch in the ditch so I wouldn't know where to begin. I think the next big one I make, I'll send it out to be quilted. Maybe after I retire some day I'll try the free-hand motion quilting. My son and daughter-in-law got me a new quilting book for my birthday on Sunday, "Dancing with Thread." Your guide to Free-Motion Quilting. I hope to try it on some little projects soon. Your quilt is lovely.

Dresden Quilter said...

You are amazing! It looks great and I love the photos.

merumo said...

It's fun to see someone else was also quilting while I was doing the same on mine yesterday! I'm sure you will finish quilting at no time when you get back with it tomorrow!