Saturday, October 27, 2012

Blogger's Quilt Festival - Fall 2012


Hi everyone,

Today, I'm participating in the Blogger's Quilt Festival.
 I'm sharing a quilt I just finished this morning.

I call it "The Auge family color quilt"


Quilt Stats

"The Auge Family Color Quilt"
Finished quilt measures : 51″x 62″
Special techniques used : 3 dimentional applique, free pieced letters
Quilted by : Ariane Kring (that's me) on a domestic machine 
Best Category : Throw Quilt Home Machine Quilted Quilt, Scrap Quilt


I made this quilt for my brother's family.
They just had a new baby in September.
When I started working on this quilt I didn't know if they were having a boy or a girl.
So, I designed this gender neutral, bright quilt.
I wanted the quilt to be big enough for both of their kids to enjoy it.
I used free pieced letters inspired by the book  Word Play Quilts by Tonya Ricucci.
The block is the Japanese x and + block.
The kite is appliqued and the little pinwheels on the kites tail are 3 dimentional blocks appliqued to the quilt.
I embroidered the line using crochet cotton.
I free motioned quilted this quilt on my Pfaff Expression 4.0.
Unfortunately, it was raining by the time I had a chance to take a picture.
So this picture will have to do.
I hope you like it.

Hugs



20 comments:

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Beautiful quilt Ariane!

Amy Friend said...

Wow, it is so bold compared to your normal work! It's a very fun quilt and sure to be loved. I particularly love the center section with the bold solids and the low volume fabrics for the background-nice!

Sharon said...

Very cute and I love how original it is. Tonya has been a real inspiration to so many of us!

pinsandneedles said...

Stunning quilt! Love the bright colors and the word play!

Calicojoan said...

What a great fun and bright quilt.

Calicojoan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carla said...

This is so gorgeous!

CitricSugar said...

How bright and fun!

SewCalGal said...

What a special quilt Ariane. Definitely radiates fun!

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

♥Duff said...

OH, I love the way you've incorporated so many ideas and techniques here--brights & lights, improve & traditional. I think the binding is spectacular!

Lori said...

What a bright and happy quilt!!

Marit said...

What a fun quilt!
; )

Barb said...

great quilt - I love your letters on the borders! very cheerful and fun!

Anonymous said...

I love your Word Play letters...that is one of my favorite quilt books!

Poppyprint said...

What a fabulous baby quilt! I love the blocks done in those colours - it's a very different look from other's I've seen super scrappy and with text fabrics. Well done Ariane. I always love words pieced into a quilt!

Dresden Quilter said...

I love the colours and your letters are amazing!

Browndirtcottage said...

This is a great quilt! You did a fabulous job on your letters!

Dolly said...

Yep, fabulous sums it up pretty well. Stunning, even.

Sharon said...

What a cute quilt! Love all the bright colors, and you did a super job on the letters. What fun!

Robin said...

Bright and happy-- perfect for baby! I love the pieced lettering as well. Thanks so much for sharing! :)