Sunday, August 5, 2012

9-Patch Flower....A block tutorial......

Hi everyone!!

I thought I would share a tutorial of the blocks I made for the Think Christmas Blog Hop.
I'm going to call it "9-patch flower".
Since, I don't know the name of this block.
Note: If you know the original name of this block, please let me know.

I will give you dimentions for the 12.5 inch block and the 6.5 inch block.

Cutting Instructions for 12.5 inch block

8 - 4.5 inch squares of main dark/medium colour fabric
1 - 4.5 inch square of light or fussy cut fabric
20 - 2.5 inch square of light fabric

Cutting Instruction for 6.5 inch block

8 - 2.5 inch squares of main dark/medium colour fabric
1 - 2.5 inch square of light or fussy cut fabric
20 - 1.5 inch squares of light fabric

The instructions from this point on are the same no matter what size you make.

1 - Draw a diagonal line on the small light coloured squares.
Then draw an aditional line 0.5 inch away from the original line.
Note: for the 1.5 inch squares, I made the second line 1/4 inch away from the diagonal line.

2 - Align the small light squares, right sides together, on the corner of the dark square and sew along the pencil line. Repeat this with all eight large dark squares.

Then sew on the second pencil line of each square.

3 - Cut between the pencil lines.


and iron the light fabric back, as shown below.


4 - Add another light square to the adjacent corner, as you did in step two.
Sew on the diagonal pencil lines, then cut apart.


5 - Iron the light fabric back.
Set 4 of the blocks aroung the fussy cut block as shown below.

6 - Take the other 4 blocks and add another light square to the third corner
and sew on diagonal lines.

Cut apart, iron the light fabric back.

7 - Arrange all the blocks and sew them together.
I pinned the squares together and lined up the diagonal seam.
This will make the angles meet up just right.

Here's the finished block.


I used Christmas fabric here.


Wouldn't this look good in summer fabrics too?

I'll have to try some out.

If you have any questions, let me know!!

Hugs




4 comments:

Linda said...

Thanks for the great tutorial! I love your block and your fussy cutting is great too. This one is on the top of my list to do!

DianneB said...

Thanks for sharing - I have some of that fabric!

SewCalGal said...

Very cute block and great tutorial. Thanks Ariane.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Carrie P. said...

well done!