Saturday, December 20, 2008

Scrap quilts

At the end of August 2008, I started making a scrap quilt for my oldest son. It was my first attempt at a bigger quilt. I bought a bunch of fat quarters at different quilt shops. I didn't really consider the colours and if they all went well together. I just found fabrics that I liked and bought them. I needed a certain amount of dark fabric and light fabric for the pattern. It went together quite well. It took me about 3 weeks to make the quilt from start to finish. I was so excited to get it done, that I spent every extra moment I had working on the quilt. I machine pieced it and quilted it. My sewing machine isn't the greatest, so the quilting didn't turn out as well as I would have liked. But I really like the quilt and my son likes it a lot too.


I had a lot of small left over pieces of fabric when my sons quilt was done. I didn't know what to do with them at the beginning. I went to the public library and found the "Tumbling Block" pattern. I thought that would be a good pattern to use up small pieces of fabric. I had never made a block with inset pieces before. It was kind of ambitious to do a quilt made completely with inset pieces when I had never done it before. But I thought....I will give it a try. I decided that I would hand piece the blocks. I wasn't confident enough to use my sewing machine. I cut out all the pieces I needed and started to piece the quilt top together. It took me about six weeks to piece the whole centre panel of the quilt. I then attached the borders by hand as well. I decided I would make this quilt for my daughter. She just loved how it was looking. I was going to do some machine piecing on it, but she said it would be extra special if I did it all by hand. So that's what I'm doing. Here's a picture of the completed quilt top. I did start quilting it by hand. I still have a long way to go. I think it will take me a long time. But I'm really happy about how it's turning out. I will post more pictures of it as I get further into the project.

No comments: